Minutes of the Committee Meeting of the DBA held on November 2011 at the Isca Centre.
Draft minutes awaiting approval at the next meeting.
The draw for the Devon Teams (WMN) Plate took place before the meeting.
Present: Howard Kent-Webster (Chairman), Terence Treeby (Hon Sec), Martin Read (Hon Treas), Terry Cannon (East), Bruce Foster (West), Pam Ward (South), Neil Marsden (North), Jeanine Keith (co-opted).
In attendance : Andrew Leslie (Education for 8.2 only), Dick Andrews (Regional Club Rep for 8.6 only).
Apologies: George Simnett (vice-Chairman), David Hugo (West), Paul Ainsworth (South), John Boxall, Denis Davey (North), Keith Ponsford (East). Best wishes were sent to David Hugo and Keith Ponsford.
2.Chairman’s statement etc.
2.1. The new Chairman thanked the committee for their past efforts and for co-opting him as Chairman.
2.2. George Simnett was selected as vice-Chairman and Jeanine Keith was co-opted as an extra committee member.
2.3. Howard Kent-Webster was added to the Disciplinary Committee.
2.4. The Chairman highlighted items for future discussion :
(a) how we can demonstrate the distinct advantages to affiliation and membership to increase the number of affiliated clubs and members?
(b) how we can provide the best possible competition in Devon for players of all abilities with a view to increasing competition in affiliated club / county events?
(c)how we can use computer technology to reduce DBA costs and to provide appropriate (bridge related) on-line services to members?
(d) I believe that the DBA should be run for the benefit of its members and affliated clubs and I think success / failure to be judged on participation in club / county events and the support DBA gives to its members / affiliated clubs. What 'Key Performance Indicators' should be reported on at the AGM? Tournament sub-committee asked to review Winter Pairs.
(e) I would like us to be thinking about inviting costed proposals from our EBUTA accredited teachers to teach a new audience. Referred to education sub-committee.
2.5. A Technology sub-committee was formed consisting of George Simnett (dealing machines), Paul Ainsworth (scoring and software), Ruth Edmondson (website) and Jayne Kent-Webster (knowledge manager).
3. Minutes of meeting of 3 October 2011 were taken as read and signed as a correct record.
4. Matters arising
4.1. (Oct 6.2). EBU Blue points starting 1 January 2013 (see also 8.6.).
(other matters are dealt with in separate agenda items and are not reported here.)
5.1. Congress income continuing to come in. Section funds have been borrowed to cover cash flow until the bond matures in February. A request from Hontion for assistance to buy a dealing machine delayed until after this bond matures.
5.2. (Oct 5.2. and 5.4.). Replacement duplimate and 100 packs of cards obtained for £2142. Plymouth BC have duplimate provided with help by county and store 5 sets 1-49 boards. Agreed that duplimate charges from 1 Jan 2012 will be 11p per board for county events and 20p per board for non-county events, with 11p for the dealer in each case. Suggested that these rates might also apply to club dealing machines purchased with county help.
5.3. (Oct 5.3. and 5.4.). Bridgemates: terminal, software (for the county computer) and 15 units purchased for £2084.40. Additional number provided with help by county: Newton Abbot 20, Honiton 10, Exmouth 16. Non-county-paid available for hire from or at Exeter BC: 25 Mark I and 25 Mark II.Agreed that charges for use of DBA Bridgemates and server from 1 Jan 2012 will be £1 per unit to include use of server and computer (ie £15 for the full set for a session). Suggested that these rates might also apply to club bridgemate systems purchased with county help.
5.4. (Oct 5.4.)Directors’ rates for DBA events. Deferred until March.
6. Secretary’s report and correspondence (including Shareholder’s report on EBU matters)
6.1. 6.1. Hon Sec attended the EBU AGM on Wed 5 Oct. Elections and awards are reported on www.ebu.co.uk.
Other matters : (1) P2P on county sim pairs after 1 Apr 2012. Charged in full at club, no extra on overall event.
(2) BGB will continue in a reduced format for regulating Camrose, Gold Cup, etc. EBU will take over most sim pairs from eCats. Cost of EBU sim pairs to be £2.50 plus club table money.
(3) Shareholders approved the next stage in negotiations / applications for charitable status for EBU.
(4) P2P to rise from 31p to 33p in April 2012, partly inflation and partly due to 2011 rate being voted lower than recommended.
(5) Yorkshire report on bridge development. See learnbridgeYorkshire website.
(6) Report on new blue points from 1 April 2013
(7) Next meetings *Wed 18 Apr 2012, Wed 3 Oct 2012; County Chairmen Wed 11 July 2012. Please can one of my fellow shareholders attend this one?
(8) National Grading Scheme goes live early in 2012. Initial grading set by nearly 21 months P2P history.
6.2. The following further changes to constitution will be proposed to the next AGM to conform with EBU requirements :
(i) delete section 3 bullet point 4 re county affiliation.
(ii) insert as 4.13
Any duplicate bridge club may affiliate to the Association and all such clubs shall be affiliated to the EBU. Tha Association has the right to determine at an Annual General Meeting through a simple majority of its paid up members the annual club affiliation fee to be charged for the twelve month period from the following 1 April.
6.3. New EBU Licensing and Masterpoint Handbook from 1 April 2012 and Blue Points from 1 January 2013. Paper tables summarising implications for Devon. To be discussed in conjuction with the 2012-2013 calendar at the March meeting.
7. Section Reports
7.1. North. League on 2nd Tuesday has lower number of teams. Dartington Glass Trophy Sun 5 February.
7.2. East. Woolcott brochures tabled. C divisionn of league includes new members.
7.3. West. Plymouth Congress and Heart Foundation swiss teams numbers down.
7.4. South. Multiple teams brochures tabled. £237 and £253 raised from first two sim pairs.
8. Sub-committee Report
8.1. Tournament Sub-Committee [Jeanine Keith (Tournament Administrator), Terence Treeby, Martin Read]
(a)The Devon Inter-Club Knockout Teams of 4 with 8 entries has had positive feedback. Those eliminated would have liked a plate competition. Noted for calendar discussion at March meeting.
(b) Western League results so far noted after 3 matches : A running total 28 (max 60); B 39; C 36.
(c)Difficulty in finding non-playing directors for Devon Club Teams of 8 and Julia Chadwick in February.
(d) Poster and entry forms for Club 8’s distributed. Poster (reminds players that entry to the final is via qualifier only) and entry forms for JC distributed. 6 clubs have confirmed dates for qualifiers; please encourage all to run one.
8.2. Education Sub-Committee [Andrew Leslie, Carol Ritzen, one vacancy] (taken out of order)
Final itinerary for Michael Byrne for 12-15 Dec 2011 tabled showing anticipated attendance within estimates.
Sub-committee to investigate director training possibilities (including basic club-level training). Deferred until March.
Sub-committee to investigate demand for minibridge in schools and Youth Officer. Deferred until March.
8.3. Selection Sub-Committee [Warner Solomon, Ruth Edmondson, David Hugo, Terence Treeby]
Tollemache result : 6th in group of 10 with 72 VPs (30 behind 5th place). Fawcetts 1.12 =7th in Butlers in group. Fuller report due from captain. Western League teams until February have been selected.
8.4. Congress Sub-Committee [Pam Ward, Marion Kelsey, Terence Treeby, Mike Kelsey, Bruce Foster].
Advertised again in EBU December magazine (£360 + VAT same as in 2010). 32 entries so far. Committee to meet and visit hotel early in 2012.
8.5. Conduct and Disciplinary Sub-Committees : nothing to report.
8.6. EBU Regional Club Committee (taken out of order) No activity to report.
9. Any other business
10. Next meetings
10.1. Wednesday 21 March 2012 at Isca at 6.30 pm.